Waiting patiently (Or: A memorable New York bench)

July 2009 was a great time for many reasons. Marco had a trip scheduled to come see me, planned at least 3-4 months in advance. It was a bit of an odd trip to plan, since by July I had graduated from my Masters program and was trying to find work. The cutoff for going back home would have been the end of August – I was very close to running out of money. So he had to make sure that he came before that point.

Just before he arrived, I was granted a job interview with the current library that I work at. He arrived a few days ahead of this interview (scheduled for Thursday, July 2). Of course I couldn’t really relax until the interview was to take place, so the first few days were a bit tense. I knew I just had to get past it, since we were planning on going into New York City for the July 4 fireworks – that was a blast, by the way!

There was a lot of little obstacles to overcome the day of the interview. First off, I should have brought my tennis shoes, since the dress shoes painfully dug into my skin. I of course realized this halfway to the train station, so Marco raced back to get my tennis shoes… we missed that train, though we deliberately chose an early train anyway. For his troubles he got my admiration and a huge blister on his foot.

The train ride itself was interesting. While I had some experience with changing trains at Secaucus due to a previous job interview, we really started to realize we were in the boondocks when we got on the 2nd train. It was a line neither of us had been on before. There was only one train track for both directions, so one of the trains would always have to pause and wait for the first one to pass. Of course we had to stop and wait – and it was about 5 agonizing minutes.

And then we got to the destination, and I quickly realized that the taxi stand that Google Maps mentioned was no longer there (hint: never trust Google Maps, always write down the phone number!). Thankfully a local business owner helped us out with the phone number, so I called a taxi. At this point, Marco stayed behind as it would have looked a bit off if he came with me to the library for my interview – nowhere really for him to hide.

The interview itself was actually fine. Once I got started I felt really calm and answered the questions pretty well. I would like to think that my progress at the job has definitely shown that I was a good candidate (except that I am leaving at the end of the year) but there’s a ton of things I wish I was better at.

After the interview was over I just felt a HUGE sense of relief. I could finally enjoy my time with Marco and we could party in the city. As the taxi was driving back to the train station, I texted Marco to let him know I was on the way.

The taxi pulled into the train station and I saw Marco sitting at this bench:

a memorable New York bench

I gave him a little wave (a pageant-like flourish of the hand he likes to say) as the taxi pulled up. He was so nice, he even remembered to buy me some pop and a bag of peanut M&Ms… a nice surprise. I was truly starving by then but just wanted to get back to familiar territory. As we sat down on the bench, I could finally relax again and start looking forward to the rest of the trip.

And on the train ride home, I was so relieved I did something out of character (at the time anyway!) – I spontaneously kissed him on the lips.

He said it was like a little electric shock going through him…

Categories: Marco&Niki | 3 Comments

Post navigation

3 thoughts on “Waiting patiently (Or: A memorable New York bench)

  1. You shared a memorable experience with those who read your blog. I loved that Marco bought your peanut M & Ms. Virginia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: